What Changed in January to April 2019
Wednesday 2 January 2019
- Quick pre-release patch to prevent deleted external website links from killing RSS and what has changed
Thursday 3 January 2019
- Extensive experimentation with styles and assorted tricks:
- Waterway gazetteer now no longer needs to load an overlay, instead it highlights the waterway in a new layer
- All maps where waterways are active on mouseover now expand the line as well as showing a pop-up
Friday 4 January 2019
- Improved "add waterway":
- Floating places are not shown if there are none
- When you create a floating place the region is stored
- Tidied up some very old code for floating place creation around how the database was accessed
- When you try to create a new waterway it checks that both places (existing or floating) are in the same region and fails otherwise
- The new waterway is put at the top level of the region, instead of right at the top
Together these fix issue 526.
As threatened in the last comment of 2018 I broke something in the JS changes. Two separate mistakes in pdf_itinerary.js prevented PDF generation. Should now be fixed.
→ Release 9.32.8
- Ring edit now makes the selector the right size for the items (fixed a typo) and it grows and shrinks as places are added and removed (new code).
- Fixed issue 527 - out and back trips and rings now display the right text on markers, not one off (I was using the index into the array, rather than the carefully calculated index parameter that was designed to avoid just this problem!).
→ Release 126.96.36.199
Saturday 5 January 2019
- Configuration to only put upper buttons on routes and itineraries, which means I think I can turn them on without various other things breaking - finally resolving issue 259.
- Tidying up of itineraries:
- Added lots of information about bridges to itineraries - delivers issue 200 and then some.
- Made several improvements around there to remove inline styles and eliminate occasional double full stops.
- Moved a large chunk into a macro to reduce duplicated code between browser and PDF itinerary generation.
- Removed @ signs from road names (and shortened to the road name from full address) in routes
→ Release 9.32.9
Sunday 6 January 2019
- Fixed bug introduced in 9.32.8 that broke waterway addition (fixes issue 531).
- Made new waterway trigger map regeneration
- Fixed many years old bug in waterway generation that happened to trigger when testing
- Fixed link to old maps to address issue 530.
→ Release 188.8.131.52
- Improved bug reporting - now sends internal backtrace which could help me get to why we are getting database locking errors from people's sessions (as distinct from the main database) always at one particular point in the program.
- Fixed a bug where editing a feature without doing anything to an empty navigational note caused a crash
- Improvements to gazetteer place finder:
- Box round the map
- Waterway sections light up and names appear at the top
- Places open in same tab/window (unlike normal behaviour)
→ Release 9.32.10
Saturday 19 January 2019
- Improvements to place creation to solve issue 536. Refactored code there and tidied it up quite a lot – significant duplicated code folded into new procedure.
Tuesday 22 January 2019
- Limitations on characters allowed for wiki pages
- Error page for missing namespace rather than a (controlled) crash
- Code to generate waterway boundaries in the background completed and used
→ Release 9.32.11
To Saturday 26 January 2019
- More work on map-based placefinder
- Created new style files for "dim" waterways that can be brightened and code to support
- Place names change colour when hovered over (in all maps)
- Full width map rather than squeezed on large screens
- All direct paths to template files changed to use configuration values instead - should make setting up a separate templates directory for testing responsive layouts a lot easier.
→ Release 9.32.12
Sunday 27 January 2019
- Improved flow when you lose a session other than in route planning to resolve recurring low-level bug
- Change to user's session database locking with the aim of avoiding a rare but recurring failure
Tuesday 29 January 2019
- Improvements and bug-fixes to background waterway boundary calculations to resolve issue 545.
→ Release 184.108.40.206
to Saturday 2 February 2019
- Added an "up" button to the selector-based waterway navigation. Originally for the graphical placefinder but realised general use and made generic.
To Wednesday 6 February 2019
- Code to migrate users from Google logons to CanalPlanAC accounts.
→ Release 9.32.13 [beta only]
Monday 11 February 2019
- Second fix to naming uploaded images for PDFs to make them work properly this time - issue 549 - as pre-release patch.
To Saturday 23 February 2019
- Pre-release patch to fix issues with setting overnights - issue 548.
- Some work around things raised in issue 565 or spotted working on it:
- Removed unncessary "feet" from rises for lock flights
- Changed quote mark to prime and added a double prime to the display of feet and inches
- Did the same for lat and long displays - changed from quotes to primes, added a degrees symbol and moved the NSEW
- If a lock has a rise_mm field in lock_JSON that will be displayed, formatted according to settings, instead of the rise.
- Wrote code to spot common patterns in rise text and create rise_mm from them
To 6 April 2019
- As you can tell, I've just not been coding much recently. Fixes to:
→ Release 220.127.116.11
Monday 7 April 2019
- Fix to ensure stoppages at single place (so start and end place are the same) get used when planning
→ Release 18.104.22.168
Monday 15 April 2019
- Google+ has gone away - issue 582:
- Removed Google+ button from home page
- Removed Google+ from possible shares on gazetteer pages
- Code to purge the local table for all places on a waterway when a name is changed (to address issue 581)
- Pre-release fix to map code (broken when removing "arrow function" because of IE) - issue 584.
- Some routes through the code caused problems with stoppages (detected from emails) - fixed
→ Release 22.214.171.124
Tuesday 16 April 2019
- Removed some logging code for plugins left over from yesterday
- New background process to reconcile photo database and directories and fix things - addressing issue 580
- Improvements to queuing from the background processor - some things moved to main, and a new "low_always" mode
→ Release 126.96.36.199
- A couple of tweaks on the background processing of images.
- Changes to escaping of boat names
Together, these resolve issue 580.
→ Release 188.8.131.52
- Changed text for attribution to use entities - gives properly spaced copyright, addressing issue 585.
- Waterways were faded in all maps, not just those where they should be.
→ Release 184.108.40.206
Wednesday 17 April 2019
- Improvements to virtual cruise sparked by - and closing - issue 586:
- Last place displayed properly (needs special-casing, done once out of three: made function and used everywhere)
- There is no longer a "1/1" indication in the caption when there is only one photo for a place
- There are no longer left and right cycle buttons on the photo when there is only one photo for a place
→ Release 220.127.116.11
- Can edit the names of areas - fixes issue 507
- Fixed a bug where multiplication for out-and-back had gone wrong in furthest place
- Improvements to map code so that gazetteer hovers and clicks work in itinerary maps (closures - bah!)
→ Release 18.104.22.168
Thursday 18 April 2019
- Allowed supression of bridges on junctions where they are in the database as separate places. This implements what is needed for issue 494.
- Improved the display of waterway crossroads like Trent Junction. Not perfect, but a lot better than before
→ Release 9.32.14
- Improvements to virtual cruise: added a chunk of text from the gazetteer which also has useful links to gazetteer pages. Completes issue 535.
→ Release 9.32.15
Friday 19 April 2019
- Turned off "no annotations" on geocoding. This will start to collect more data, with things like MGRS, Wikidata, Geohashes and What Three Words. When I have built up a bit of a collection I will work out a way to sensibly display them (ideas welcome!).
- Prevented marker places in route lists having gratuitous (empty) navigational notes
→ Release 22.214.171.124
- Fix to aggregating waterways so that we get the right maps rather than the maps of parents. Fixes issue 554. Have done a manual run to fix them.
→ Release 126.96.36.199
- Added electricity hookup to the attributes a place can have
→ Release 188.8.131.52