Sankey Canal (Gerard's Bridge Branch)
The Sankey Canal (Gerard's Bridge Branch) is a narrow canal and is part of the Sankey Canal. It runs for 1 mile and 4½ furlongs from Sankey - Penny Bridge - Gerard's Bridge Junction (where it joins the Sankey Canal (Main Line) and the Sankey Canal (Penny Bridge Branch)) to Gerard's Bridge Terminus (which is a dead end).
The exact dimensions of the largest boat that can travel on the waterway are not known. The maximum headroom is not known. The maximum draught is not known.Canal & River Trust
Relevant publications — Waterway Maps:
- Waterway Routes 01M - England and Wales Map
- Waterway Routes 23M3 - St Helens Canal Map (Free Download)
Relevant publications — Waterway Guides:
A map will be shown here if you are logged on
|Sankey - Penny Bridge - Gerard's Bridge Junction
Junction of the Sankey Canal Main Line with the Penny Bridge and Gerard's Bridge Branches
|Merton Bank Bridge No 25||1 mile and ½ furlongs||0 locks|
|Gerard's Bridge - Boardmans Bridge Junction
Junction of the Gerard's Bridge and Boardmans Bridge Branches of the Sankey Canal
|1 mile and 1½ furlongs||0 locks|
|Sankey Railway Bridge No 26||1 mile and 3½ furlongs||0 locks|
|Gerard's Bridge Terminus||1 mile and 4½ furlongs||0 locks|
Why not log in and add some (go to "Edit and Change" on the menu and select "Edit websites")?
Wikipedia has a page about Sankey Canal
The Sankey Canal, which is also known as the Sankey Brook Navigation and the St Helens Canal, historically entirely within Lancashire is a canal now in Cheshire, extending into Merseyside, in the northwest of England, connecting St Helens with the River Mersey. When opened in 1757, it ran along the valley of the Sankey Brook from the point where the brook joined the River Mersey, to a location to the north east of St Helens. Extensions were constructed at the Mersey end of the canal, firstly to Fiddlers Ferry and then to Widnes, while at the northern end, it was extended into what became the centre of St Helens. The canal was gradually abandoned between 1931 and 1963, but has been the object of a restoration attempt since 1985, when the Sankey Canal Restoration Society was formed.
- ^ 53.4458°N 2.6448°W / 53.4458; -2.6448
- ^ "History, Opening of the canal". Retrieved 2013-01-01.
- ^ 53.3512°N 2.7303°W / 53.3512; -2.7303